ANY QUESTIONS? FEEL FREE TO EMAIL, CALL 1-800-631-5407 OR
YOU CALL THE SCHOTTS
scottk

FUNFACT: scottk can unscramble an egg.

Thinking about buying a 613SH

EDIT: I saw in another post that Gail said the 613SH is more of a slim fit and the 613S is heavy steerhide. Now I’m wondering how the 613S compares to my Storm? Thanks.

Hi, Gail and friends.

I’m a proud owner of a 654 in black and a Storm (p673). I love them both. The 654 was always the one I wore a bit more in the rain, while the Storm is the one I keep dry and use to dress up.

My 654 is an XL, purchased when I was 50 lbs. heavier. So now it’s a bit big and oversized. It’s not quite a tent, but I need something else. Yes, a very good problem to have.

So while looking at the site I came across the 613SH and really like the look. But I do have a few questions.

• I do not ride a motorcycle. Will this jacket look ok for casual wear?

• I do prefer a jacket that’s more form fitting, like my Storm.

• This jacket is horsehide, right? I’ve never had horsehide. How in terms of heaviness and material would it compare to my Storm? I use that as my comparison because the storm is so heavy and wonderful in terms of material. 

• Is this a jacket that could be subjected to some rain and snow? I realize that any jacket repeatedly soaked in rain will eventually dry out, but what about some rain/snow? As a comparison as mentioned above, I’ve gotten my 654 wet plenty of time but have never got so much as a drop on my storm because the person who sold it to me at the Schott NYC store said to absolutely try to avoid getting it wet, and that stuck with me.

• Is there anything else I should know about this jacket?

• If you tell me that as someone who doesn’t ride that this would look ridiculous on me, do you have another suggestion keeping in mind all of the above?

Thanks so very much for your help.

Scott

TAT2MAN on 08/14/18 at 08:48 AM

Great jacket but more for fashion then riding because it doesn't have the underarm footballs. Everyone wears this style even if they don't ride! Great protection in an urban environment too! Horsehide is sweet! If you can afford the coin then I say "get you one"!

scottk on 08/14/18 at 11:27 AM

oh that’s helpful! Thanks. I didn’t know that about the footballs. I just somehow thought this was more of a style for riders than those who don’t. Thanks for the info. Do you know anything about the rain part of the question, by chance?

Gail on 08/14/18 at 12:04 PM

Dear Scott,

The style 613SH is a heavy Horsehide leather which is mainly a choice of motorcycle riders for protection. The Horsehide leather is not only heavy but it is very rigid and firm to the hand, and it will take some wearing to break in. The appearance is also a shiny leather, the more you wear the jacket the more creases will appear, such as in the arm area from bending your arm, or other parts ofthe jacket where movement is made. The jacket is very durable in rain/snow. I would not classify this jackt as a casual wear jacket because of the horsehide leather, but the classic styling of this motorcycle jacket can be worn as a casual jacket maybe in a different type of leather.

In regards to fit is seems you want this classic style in a slim fitting jacket, but yet a heavy winter insulated style. I can only suggest possibly the heavy Steerhide/fitted style 613 or the classic motorcycle fit in Naked Cowhide style 118 or in Steerhide style 618. Thes leathers are heavy, jackets are insulated, not a shiny or as rigid as a Horsehide leather. Both the 654 & P673 styles are cafe racer styles, with a different fit then the 613/118/618/&613SH. The 654 & P673 are in graded sizing, which is not based on a true chest size, these classic motorcycle styles are actual chest sized jackets, so the fit is slightly different.

You can contact our customer service as request the spec measurements for these jackets as well as the 654/P673 styles so you can compare the measurements and give you an idea on the fit and how they differ.

Gail

scottk on 08/14/18 at 12:16 PM

Thank you, Gail. This is super helpful. I didn’t realize that the 613SH was so heavy and shiny. I like heavy; the Storm is nice and heavy, but I don’t like the shine per se.

in looking quickly at your suggestions (613, 618, 118) those are definitely more in line of what I’m looking for. I don’t mind something different than the 654 and 673. And thankfully I have a store nearby so I can actually try some on to see what makes the most sense.

thanks again, Gail!

scottk on 08/14/18 at 12:30 PM

@Gail, just one more question: Is the P613S too heavy for casual wear? I see there’s a 613, a P613 and a P613S — in addition to the 613SH. Thanks!

Fischer on 08/15/18 at 12:58 AM

Hi Scott

I have a friend who does not ride and he has a 618HH horsehide jacket just because he likes the style. I think the 613SH would be a good choice to just wear out.

Myself, I have a 613H horsehide, 118 naked cowhide, 618 (recent manufacture) and a 1970's vintage 618 - both steerhide and I like them all.

My 613H with footballs does have more of a shine than the others but I like the look. Here is my example.

Cheers and good luck!

1a3.jpg 1b6.jpg 1c5.jpg

Gail on 08/15/18 at 06:29 AM

Styles beginning with the leather "P" are part of our Limited "Perfecto Brand" jackets. The P613S is a beautiful Horween Steerhide leather and is very ice for casual wear. This style does have a light weight lining and not a quilted insulated body lining. You are very fortunate that you have a nearby retailer, so you can try on and see the different types of leather and fit. Of course many retailers can not stock all styles and leather, especially the horsehide leathers. As I mentioned before the horsehide becomes creased with wear, so customers trying on the jacket over a period of time can cause the creases to appear. With horsehide and limited edition jackets the retailer can special order, just check what their policy is if the jacket does not fit or does not meet your expections. As always you can order directly from our website and you can return any purchase for a full credit or exchange providing the jacket is unworn and has all hangtags attached.

Gail

scottk on 08/15/18 at 07:37 AM

Fischer, those pics are great. Thank you so much for posting them. It’s really helpful to see the differences. Even in a store where everything is right there, it can quickly become overwhelming trying to remember all the nuances between the different styles. Sadly, I’m no closer to really knowing what I want, but since it will be my 3rd Schott I have no doubt that whatever it is will be amazing. Thanks again. 

scottk on 08/15/18 at 07:43 AM

Gail wrote:

Styles beginning with the leather "P" are part of our Limited "Perfecto Brand" jackets. The P613S is a beautiful Horween Steerhide leather and is very ice for casual wear. This style does have a light weight lining and not a quilted insulated body lining. You are very fortunate that you have a nearby retailer, so you can try on and see the different types of leather and fit. Of course many retailers can not stock all styles and leather, especially the horsehide leathers. As I mentioned before the horsehide becomes creased with wear, so customers trying on the jacket over a period of time can cause the creases to appear. With horsehide and limited edition jackets the retailer can special order, just check what their policy is if the jacket does not fit or does not meet your expections. As always you can order directly from our website and you can return any purchase for a full credit or exchange providing the jacket is unworn and has all hangtags attached.

Gail

Gail, this is great info as always. The horsehide is making me think because I don’t think I care much for the crease you describe. I do realize that over time the crease becomes part of the jacket and the overall personality, but I’m more of a non-crease guy. Just when I think the 613 is best I see the 618. And there’s something about the 118 too that’s just really great. I think you hit the nail on the head when you say I’m lucky to be near a retailer where I can try them on. I’ll definitely need to do that anyway because it’s still hard for me to believe my original 654 no longer fits because of my weight loss. The Storm is beautiful and I really enjoy that style. But I want this one to be black so I have two regular jackets to wear — one in each color. And of course the minute I think I’ve decided you’ll go and release some limited edition that’s amazing. Ahhh, problems :-)

Thanks again for all the great help and advice.

wolverine on 08/16/18 at 11:22 PM

You have been given some great advice from Gail.  Being able to try on these jackets and feel the leather is very important.  The two jackets you already own have leather that has a softer hand compared to the steer or horse that are used with the 618.  The 613 that is made with the Horween steer is a bit softer since it has very little if any applied finish.  

If you are are looking for more of a matte finish to the leather check out the factory vintaged styles or any style that starts with a 1... these are all naked cowhide.  You will have a much easier time breaking in one of these styles compared to the models made with either steer or horse.  Those jackets really take a profound commitment to break.  Plus if you buy one that is either tighter or form fitted you will burn a lot of calories just raising your arms...they are restrictive.  This is a good quality for a riding jacket but for casual wear it will get a bit old.

You mention rain, the naked leather is not as good as the steer or horse in a soaking rain but if that happens you will need to properly dry all of these models since the water will eventually go through the seams.  The big plus with the steer and horse that have the applied finish is stain resistance.  They are both much better than a naked full aniline hide that will stain fairly easily.

scottk on 08/17/18 at 11:16 AM

Thank you so much, Wolverine. There's an incredible amount of information here, so much of which I didn't know and really needed to know. The whole weight thing and how a steerhide vs. cowhide material matters in every day wear - this is huge. And now I understand why there's a 118 version of the 618.

I'm really not sure what to do other than try everything on and make a decision. The thought of something where raising my arms is going to be difficult isn't the best thing, but more importantly I live in NYC where it gets quite cold in the winter. And while I have a heavier coat for the most harsh conditions, I do enjoy wearing my leather with a sweater and shirt underneath. And unless I'm understanding it wrong, I might not be able to do that with a steerhide choice because it's tighter than a cowhide choice. That's not my only deciding factor, but I would certainly weigh it.

And that 613 that you mentioned - the one that is softer? I see it has all black accents (buckle, etc.) and someone at the NYC schott store explained when I was buying a regular belt that sometimes the color is quick to rub off. So I'm not sure that's a good investment if that's going to happen. But that person could be wrong and perhaps that doesn't extend to the jacket. Do you happen to know the answer to that?

Thank you so much again for your reply and all the great info. I am so very appreciative.
Scott

wolverine on 08/17/18 at 05:55 PM

Scott,

bring the extra winter clothes with you when you try these jackets on...that will be at least a half size in numbered size jackets.  Also bring a vest...the fashion fit jackets are cut much tighter in the upper arm/bicep area, this can be a problem if you are wearing layers on your arms.  They take out about 2" from the upper arm area on the fashion cut jackets compared to the riders like the 618 or 118.

Ask the salesperson how they measure the jackets and if you find one that fits you the right way make sure you measure it.  Be sure to note if the jacket has an insulated liner or not since this will also change the fit slightly?  Then you will be able to know what other styles will fit your body type and the size you need...tagged sizes are often misleading and they only stock about 10-15% of what you see on the website.  If you call the factory they will measure a jacket for you and that is really the best way to determine if a jacket will fit without trying it on.  Plus you can then ask for the style/size to be sent to the store to double check the fit, etc.

scottk on 08/18/18 at 12:53 PM

So helpful, because normally my thought process is just to stop by when I have time. But that’s not enough because you want to wear the right kind of stuff that simulates real life, just as you say here. Thank you. I’ll keep all this in mind.

Right now it’s between 2 kinds, although I know something else will come along before I finally buy. The p613s and the 141. I really they are very different. I lean toward the p613s; I really like the belt and the style.

Do you or Gail know if this is one of those jackets that you have to be careful of the color running on fabrics? I saw that in another Horween jacket. I think my wife is basically ok with anything as long as it doesn’t stain the couch ??

Thanks again!

Gail on 08/20/18 at 06:55 AM

I am not familiar with any Horween jacket with the color rubbing off. Unfortunately we have had a few cases with a leather that rubs off or what we call bleeding. This is a rare occurrence but it can happen and we stand behind all our jackets and would handle the situation. If this should occur you will know immediately, you can test the leather by rubbing a white cloth over the leather, if color is rubbing off you will see the black dye on the cloth.

Gail

wolverine on 08/20/18 at 09:56 AM

The P6658 done in Horween horse did this and has been noted on the website...I have never had any of my Schott jackets do this.  But as Gail mentions a white cotton cloth will tell the story.

Please Wait While Loading ...
LOADING MORE