ANY QUESTIONS? FEEL FREE TO EMAIL, CALL 1-800-631-5407 OR
YOU CALL THE SCHOTTS
v4257

FUNFACT: v4257 can unscramble an egg.

Jacket ID: A2 184SM?

I've gone a bit Schott crazy and acquired another vintage Schott right after my first one. Hoping for a quick look from the amazing Gail and some info on this one too.

My initial impression is that Schott is the master of leather. Based on what I've learned here - this jacket is probably 25+ years old but the leather looks amazing. The pile liner, collar and knit waist & arm bands def show wear. But the leather & leather stitching is almost perfect still!

Here are the pictures - in order:

1. Jacket (with collar and inner liner removed; also after recent conditioning with lexol) 

2. Tag in front pocket

3. Zipper for ID

4. Tag on 'fur' collar

5. Tag on 'fur' liner

fullsizeoutput_54e1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_54f1.jpeg gyHQpTv3TU6TtH7EGTqVyg1.jpg gbSuGJiaScOfq95uoEzcaA1.jpg E24fsvJTvOuVUw6ZYIoYw1.jpg

Gail on 05/09/19 at 07:21 AM

The jacket is the style 184SML in a long, based on the pocket ticket and the small "L" size label sewn into the main Schott label in the jacket. The "long" size in the 184SM has a 2" longer back length and a 1/2" longer in the sleeve length. Since the pocket ticket has no barcode we know the jacket was produced prior to 1993. We first offered the jacket in a long size in 1982. Based on the Ideal front zipper I believe this jacket was produced around the mid-80's to 1992.

Gail

v4257 on 05/09/19 at 07:50 AM

Gail wrote:

The jacket is the style 184SML in a long, based on the pocket ticket and the small "L" size label sewn into the main Schott label in the jacket. The "long" size in the 184SM has a 2" longer back length and a 1/2" longer in the sleeve length. Since the pocket ticket has no barcode we know the jacket was produced prior to 1993. We first offered the jacket in a long size in 1982. Based on the Ideal front zipper I believe this jacket was produced around the mid-80's to 1992.

Gail

Thank you Gail. You're amazing as always. One of my favorite things about the Schott brand is this - i.e. coming here and witness you being the amazing Sherlock about so many of these old jackets. 

A couple of other thoughts to share with others:

1. 'Long' jackets are the way to go for anyone 6' or taller esp for day to day casual wear (not motorcycle riding). This above jacket fits me perfect. I'm 6' and 200 lbs.

2. YKK seems to be a better zipper brand VS Ideal. Based on 3 jackets I have with IDEAL zippers (2 schott - 1 diff brand) - they are fiddly. YKK zippers tend to stay good for decades and decades. Do others also see this?

PeterSilecchio on 05/09/19 at 09:18 AM

Hello,

Nice Jacket. I agree SCHOTT makes the Best Leather Jackets you can buy. And They have a Great Customers Service Team. And then there is Gail to Help us with all our Questions.

You are Lucky because your size is 44. I wear Size 50-52. Much harder to find Vintage SCHOTT Jackets in the Larger Sizes. 

Be carefull it’s starts with one or two SCHOTT Jackets and before you know it you have 10 or more. I know I have and at one time had 20 SCHOTT Jackets.

The Best part is finding a Vintage SCHOTT in Mint Condition. They are out there. I find E Bay to be the Best Place to find my Jackets. 

I just bought a Mint 1985 James Dean JD2 on E Bay. A Very Nice Person in Italy was selling it on E Bay.

Pete

v4257 on 05/09/19 at 09:50 AM

PeterSilecchio wrote:

Nice Jacket. I agree SCHOTT makes the Best Leather Jackets you can buy. And They have a Great Customers Service Team. And then there is Gail to Help us with all our Questions.

<..>Pete

Thanks Pete. I am very impressed indeed that a 30 year old jacket - which has clearly been worn (given the wear on zipper, knit pieces) - has leather in such good condition. 

I am tempted to buy some more - but perhaps the coming warmer weather will help me control the impulse. :-)

Gail on 05/10/19 at 01:03 PM

You are correct someone who is 6' to 6'3" really needs a long size, 6'4" to 6'7" you need a Tall. My husband is 6'7" and it is really hard to find leather in the size. He was so happy that in the early years we did a line of oversized jackets, which he purchased several in the XL size which was his chest size and then the jacket was so very oversized in back & sleeve length that it was a perfect fit for him.

Any zipper can have issues, especially on vintage jackets. Sometimes it is just the pull that needs to be replaced a easy fix you can do yourself. As far as YKK being a better zipper, I wouldn't say they were better, many pulls have been replaced on them too. Actually in the 1980's the YKK brand was being manufactured overseas and many of their zippers were imports. Our Japanese distributor would order special production for Japan retailers and requesting not to use the YKK brand as it represented a imported zipper and they requested all items used on their jacket were made in the USA. Unfortunately today manufacturing of zippers in the US is no longer an option, they all import zippers. Lenzip is the only US zipper manufacturer that still makes zippers in the US, but all the items to make the zipper are imported. 

Gail

v4257 on 05/10/19 at 02:48 PM

Gail wrote:

My husband is 6'7" and it is really hard to find leather in the size. <..>

Any zipper can have issues, especially on vintage jackets. Sometimes it is just the pull that needs to be replaced a easy fix you can do yourself. <..>. 

Gail

Thanks Gail. Excellent suggestion. After summer is here for sure (50F High in Boston today) - I am planning to send this A2 to the Schott factory. I got in touch with Jerri I am def going to get the knit changed + the zipper slide. I am hoping the jacket will serve me well for years after! :-)

Also, your husband sounds like an impressive man. God bless!

Please Wait While Loading ...
LOADING MORE