ANY QUESTIONS? FEEL FREE TO EMAIL, CALL 1-800-631-5407 OR
YOU CALL THE SCHOTTS
schott4schott

FUNFACT: schott4schott can unscramble an egg.

First Schott 118?

Hello everyone,

I recently posted a question through customer support, but it did not really answer my question. So here it is. 

First time purchasing a leather jacket. I am about 5'10 and 160-170 lbs and my chest is 37 or 38 loose a bit. If i get the Regular in 38 , will it cover my belt area? or be above it? And if I put it on, and it doesnt fit, can i exchange it for another size? So some tell me to get a size 36 because these jackets are on the generous side, and some say go 38? 

What should I get? 

-Thank You 

Martyk on 01/05/18 at 06:52 AM

I'm not an expert but since nobody has responded yet I'll try to help a little.  As far as returning a jacket goes trying it on is not a problem.  If you leave all the tags on it you can return it. As far as how a jacket will fit is difficult to predict simply by your height.  Some people have long legs and short torsos and vice versa. For example I'm 6 ft tall but only have a 32 in inseam.  With that being said, I doubt you will have any trouble with the 118 not being long enough.  I hope this helps and that the real experts will correct me if any of what I told you is incorrect. 

GailH on 01/05/18 at 08:42 AM

Let me say thank you to MartyK for a very accurate answer to the question. The back length of the 118 is graded for sizing of the jacket, in sizes 32-38 the back length is 25", sizes 40-46 is 26". This back length measurement of the jacket is measured from the under collar seam to bottom of jacket. Have some one measure your back from the base of the neck and down your back to see where 25" will end on you. As Marty confirmed your torso measurement will determine where the jacket ends on you. With a 37" chest size you are in-between sizes, a size 36 will have a snug fit and a sleeve length of 25" from shoulder seam to bottom of sleeve, size 38 will have a sleeve length of 25-1/4". All motorcycle jackets have longer sleeves for riding which should be approximately 1-1/2" past the wrist. If you purchase a jacket from our website you can return for an exchange or full credit, providing the jackwt is unworn and the hangtags are on the jacket. If you purchase the jacket from another website you will need to confirm their return/exchange policy.

In regards to what size you should get your preference to fit is important, do you want more of a fashion snug fit or possibly a looser fit for layering under the jacket for colder weather or riding.

Gail

schott4schott on 01/05/18 at 11:17 AM

GailH wrote:

Let me say thank you to MartyK for a very accurate answer to the question. The back length of the 118 is graded for sizing of the jacket, in sizes 32-38 the back length is 25", sizes 40-46 is 26". This back length measurement of the jacket is measured from the under collar seam to bottom of jacket. Have some one measure your back from the base of the neck and down your back to see where 25" will end on you. As Marty confirmed your torso measurement will determine where the jacket ends on you. With a 37" chest size you are in-between sizes, a size 36 will have a snug fit and a sleeve length of 25" from shoulder seam to bottom of sleeve, size 38 will have a sleeve length of 25-1/4". All motorcycle jackets have longer sleeves for riding which should be approximately 1-1/2" past the wrist. If you purchase a jacket from our website you can return for an exchange or full credit, providing the jackwt is unworn and the hangtags are on the jacket. If you purchase the jacket from another website you will need to confirm their return/exchange policy.

In regards to what size you should get your preference to fit is important, do you want more of a fashion snug fit or possibly a looser fit for layering under the jacket for colder weather or riding.

Gail

Thanks for the reply Gail and Marty. So I just went and purchased a 118. I hope it fits and the sleeves are not that baggy or the jacket. 

GailH on 01/06/18 at 07:58 AM

Preference in a fit of a jacket is always an individual thing. Remember the 118 is a riding jacket and is designed for riding with the bi-swing back and not a slim fitting sleeve. Movement in the shoulder and arms can not be constrictive in movement when riding. If you do not ride and find you want a slimmer fit then we do offer several jackets that are a more fashion slimmer fit. Keep us posted on how your jacket meets your expectations.

Gail

schott4schott on 01/09/18 at 02:13 PM

Just received my jacket, I love the leather smell. The sleeves fit perfectl when i zip it. The problem is, when I wear it , the back ends above my belt and touches my tail bone area. When wearing it Unzipped, the jacket seems really baggy in the back, like you can fit two arms running down. Armpit bicip area is very roomy as well. What are your opinions on the fitment? (shoulders, sides, etc) Should I downsize to a size 36? 

The next question is, do I get a 36 Long or 38 Long? And, exchanging it for a long, will affect the sleeves too? (because the sleeves are somewhat perfect for me) or just the jacket?

Thank You 

IMG_28182.jpg IMG_28192.jpg IMG_28201.jpg IMG_28211.jpg IMG_28221.jpg IMG_28231.jpg

GailH on 01/10/18 at 07:37 AM

Looking at your photos the back and side view seem OK in length, but the front photo of jacket zipped does look short. I am not sure if this is because you have a long torso or you wear your pants more in your hip area and not at your waist. As I mentioned in my previous post the style 118 is a riding jacket and is designed for riding, the jacket will be a fuller cut for riding, possibly going down to size 36 will give you the snugger fit you want, but the length would not change. If you decide on the jacket in a long, the back length will increase by 2" and the sleeves will also increase to 1" longer. The 118L in a size 36 may be the snug & longer fit you want, but you would then need to have the sleeves shorten for you. Another option for a jacket would be the style 626 in a size Small which is a longer jacket and has a slim/snug fashion fit.

Gail

Dphillip on 01/10/18 at 09:40 AM

When the jacket is zipped up how does it fit in your chest area? I believe riding jackets should have a snug fit like a second skin. In my opinion it looks a little big on you in the chest and sides when zipped up.

schott4schott on 01/10/18 at 01:24 PM

Dphillip wrote:

When the jacket is zipped up how does it fit in your chest area? I believe riding jackets should have a snug fit like a second skin. In my opinion it looks a little big on you in the chest and sides when zipped up.

Thank you for replying to my post! Not use to the short length of these leather jackets, since its my first one. But I am planning to wear this for riding in the future as well, but for now to wear casually. Is it weird for me to have the 36L for the 118? or is the 118 known to look better when above or near the buckle? Some say that as well. At this point I feel like if i were to add 2" it would look weird. 

schott4schott on 01/10/18 at 02:00 PM

GailH wrote:

Looking at your photos the back and side view seem OK in length, but the front photo of jacket zipped does look short. I am not sure if this is because you have a long torso or you wear your pants more in your hip area and not at your waist. As I mentioned in my previous post the style 118 is a riding jacket and is designed for riding, the jacket will be a fuller cut for riding, possibly going down to size 36 will give you the snugger fit you want, but the length would not change. If you decide on the jacket in a long, the back length will increase by 2" and the sleeves will also increase to 1" longer. The 118L in a size 36 may be the snug & longer fit you want, but you would then need to have the sleeves shorten for you. Another option for a jacket would be the style 626 in a size Small which is a longer jacket and has a slim/snug fashion fit.

Gail

Hello Gail, Thanks for checking up on my post again. Yes I wear my pants to the hip and not my waist. Will the added two" and decrease in sleeves make it look weird on me? and cost extra? I believe it is my long torso as well ! I want to wear the 118 in the future for riding, but as of now I will wear it as what people may call a "Fashion". And both the back and front +2" or just the back? And is it common for people to add length to the 118, so it covers their belt? or am I one of the few? I want this jacket to be perfect ! And sorry for so many questions. I dont want it to look weird on me. I have seen the recent Schoot x Collabs with 6ixteen and those cover the belt, and so I am so confused. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc8NnL-A9X4/?taken-by=schottnyc   Although different jacket, would i be able to pull this off, with the 118?

I dont know what to do now. More guidance please! 

Powerband on 01/10/18 at 02:10 PM

I do not think the size of your jacket look weird on you, zipped or unzipped. Many people in fashion prefer the jacket to end right above their belt, much like yours. Some people prefer at or below, but yours does not look weird, as long as you don’t mind people mistaking you as Joey Ramone.

schott4schott on 01/10/18 at 02:19 PM

Powerband wrote:

I do not think the size of your jacket look weird on you, zipped or unzipped. Many people in fashion prefer the jacket to end right above their belt, much like yours. Some people prefer at or below, but yours does not look weird, as long as you don’t mind people mistaking you as Joey Ramone.

You reckon I should keep it like this but downsize to a 36(R) instead of (L)? Wait "As long as you don't mind mistaking you as Joey Ramone."(elaborate please) (If it goes under my belt?) Just the pit area is baggy. 

Thanks for the reply

Powerband on 01/10/18 at 02:45 PM

schott4schott wrote:
Powerband wrote:

You reckon I should keep it like this but downsize to a 36(R) instead of (L)? Wait "As long as you don't mind mistaking you as Joey Ramone."(elaborate please) (If it goes under my belt?) Just the pit area is baggy. 

Thanks for the reply

Rock stars like the Ramones wear their leather motorcycle jackets high and tight. :-)

seriously, your jacket size looks good on your frame.

EDIT: Having looked at your shoulder fitting, it seems you may be able to go down another size for a snug fit, and getting that size in a Long will mean you’ll have to shorten the sleeves with alteration. Consider, as Gail says, the small-sized 626 with the longer back/front but still retaining the slim fit and same(?) sleeve length.

schott4schott on 01/10/18 at 03:39 PM

Hmmmm might try to get the 36(R) and see how it goes, waiting on Gail one last time. Its a pain to wait like weeks for delivery of the jacket, but it is worth it! I like the footballs by the pit, easy moving of the arms versus the 626. 

Dphillip on 01/10/18 at 06:53 PM

Good decision to take your time to score the perfect jacket. Don’t hesitate to order a different size and return the one that’s not just right. This jacket will last you forever. When I ordered my Storm P673, I ordered a large and medium both to determine the best fit. I returned the large because the medium had more of a custom fitted look. 

GailH on 01/11/18 at 08:00 AM

I see many of our members are trying to help you in getting a good fit. First the 118 in a long size will be 2" longer in the front and back. To have the sleeves shorten the cost would be $75 plus shipping. Having a long torso and wearing your pants at the hip area and not at the waist will show the jacket as being short. Possibly put on a pair of pants that come to the waist and see how the front looks on you then. I do agree a size 36 would be a snugger fit in the chest/shoulder area. This is a big purchase for anyone and we want you to get it right, so sometimes it takes time to get the correct fit for you and your preference in a fit. Keep in mind that the photo you are looking at of the fit of the jacket on the model is not you, he may not have a long torso and his pants can be at his waist not at his hip. Keep in mind too, wearing the pants in the hip area is the style now, but may not be the style in years to come, yet your jacket will still be in style.

As a previous member advised sometimes you need to order 2 jackets then choose the best preference in fit that you want. Based on what I know I would recommend a size 36 and possibly in a long size, but try the jacket on first wearing jeans to the waist.

Gail

Please Wait While Loading ...
LOADING MORE