ANY QUESTIONS? FEEL FREE TO EMAIL, CALL 1-800-631-5407 OR
Schott N.Y.C.
YOU CALL THE SCHOTTS
OPrez

FUNFACT: Kanye West lets OPrez finish before giving his opinion.

Changing buckle on 118

I'm going to change the buckle on my 118 for a more vintage looking one (a Schott buckle also). How easy/hard is it to remove the rivets? Can they be tapped out with a hammer and nail set?

rivets1.jpg

Gail on 01/03/20 at 02:17 PM

The rivets are attached with a kick press machine, and I do not know how hard they maybe to replace, but you will probably need new rivets, as removing them will not be easy. Hopefully another member has done this and can give you pointer or possibly a shoe repair shop can do it.

Gail

OPrez on 01/03/20 at 02:51 PM

Thanks Gail. There is a shoe repair shop down the road. I'll drop it in to them before I make any attempt to do it mysefl.

Gail on 01/05/20 at 09:48 AM

I would also would advise to check with them if they can do it. For your new buckle also be sure the new buckle will accommodate the width of the belt. If the belt is too wide it won't fit the buckle and if the buckle is wider then the leather the buckle will be loose and not hang correctly or will move up & down on the belt when buckled.

Gail

OPrez on 01/05/20 at 12:52 PM

Thanks Gail. It's a buckle from a Schott Per70 which I'm hoping has the same belt width as the 118. I haven't received the buckle yet.

wolverine on 01/15/20 at 10:36 AM

OPrez wrote:

Thanks Gail. There is a shoe repair shop down the road. I'll drop it in to them before I make any attempt to do it mysefl.

Wondering how you made out. And I wanted to share my shoe store experience with you. I took a 1928 style jacket that needed  New grommets in the belt. This belt was only one layer of leather with a cloth backing. The original  grommets or eyelids had come loose after just a few uses. I brought it to the shoe store  explained  what I was looking for which was a very small spurred grommet.   My mistake was I should've stayed there when they did the job or at least asked them to see the grommets they were going to use. They wound up putting in these cheap eyelids that  we're rough on the backside and very similar to what was used originally. I wound up  removing these eyelits  and buying size 00  spur grommets.  Not only did the original eyelits begin to pull out but they also scratched the body of the jacket.

Bottom line here is you really need to get the right hardware. I'm sure Schott would send you a couple of these very specialized rivets that use and you would just have to figure out some sort of setting tool.  Your other option would be to hand stitch this buckle back on. That was the way Schott attached belt buckles on their very early 1928 models, they used a sewing machine but you could hand stitch it or have the right tailor or sailmaker do it.

OPrez on 01/15/20 at 11:38 AM

I haven't brought it in yet Wolverine. I got the replacement buckle from Schott. A rectangular one which I've since added a vintaged patina to with ferric chloride. I only want them to remove the rivets as I've bought Chicago screws/binding screws to reattach the buckle. I bought a set of 5mm silver and 5mm black. I'm going to use the ferric chloride on the original buckle too so I can swap em out at will. I also have some stars bought for the epaulettes. They're handy enough to put on by puncturing the leather first with an awl after marking out the points with the indentation the claws on the stars leave on the leather. If the guy in town can't remove the rivets I have a plan B for an old school guy in the next town over who actually makes belts. I'll post up a few photos when it's all done.

wolverine on 01/15/20 at 11:58 AM

Removing the old rivets is fairly easy...drill them out in the center and then use a pair of dikes to crush the rivet...once you drill it out the walls of the rivet will be thin and easy to deal with.

OPrez on 01/15/20 at 12:18 PM

Yeah I've looked at some YouTube videos with guys using the drill method. I'd rather have a professional do it though in case I ruin it.

OPrez on 01/15/20 at 08:22 PM

Wolverine, which side do you drill from? The side I have pictured in the original post or the other side?

crippe on 01/19/20 at 04:27 AM

Hi, I removed a buckle from a Perfecto once. I drilled the rivets out from the back. Use a drill bit that matches the diameter of the rivet and drill out the puched part, the rivet should be easy to remove. Good luck

/Crippe 

OPrez on 01/19/20 at 10:31 AM

Thanks Crippe.

Please Wait While Loading ...
LOADING MORE