ANY QUESTIONS? FEEL FREE TO EMAIL, CALL 1-800-631-5407 OR
YOU CALL THE SCHOTTS
Mistyd

FUNFACT: Fire refuses to play with Mistyd, for fear of being burned.

?? on thickness of: 641hh, 585, 141

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering about the average weight for these jackets via ounces, or mm:  The cowhide 585, the 641hh, and the 141 cowhide??  I know horse hide will be likely thinner, but was wondering again, what the average mm thickness (or ounces) these jackets come in? 

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL HELP :)  MUCH APPRECIATED!

God Bless,

Misty

Mistyd on 12/16/10 at 02:29 AM

I'm responding to my own post, lol!!   Hey, I am asking because these are the 3 jackets I REALLY REALLY LIKE!!  I have never owned HH, and enjoy a heavier weight jacket in cow... soooo, please, somebody, anybody who has owned these jackets and can contribute some info for me, CHIME IN :)

Thanks again!!

God Bless,

Misty

wolverine on 12/16/10 at 10:37 AM

The Italian hh that Schott currently uses ranges in thickness.  Some of the past production runs specified a midweight type(the jackets that were made with this hh did not really need to be broken in).  With the 618, 641 and Tracker Schott uses their heavy weight, drum dyed and you can expect somewhere between 3.5 to 4 oz per square yard.  There is always some variation in animal hide thickness based on the specific area each panel is cut from.

If you go to the LengendaryUSA site they usually specify a weight/thickness with the hh jackets they market(alot of their stuff is made by Schott).  But when comparing these three types you have listed the "hand" is going to be most important.   The hh jacket is going to be very, very stiff and difficult to move in.  Even with normal wearing the hh will remain stiff for quite a while and IMHO this is not such a great feel or lets just say it gets to be a workout wearing them or holding your arms up for instance.  There are ways to break these in faster which are covered on this blog.  And trust me it is absolutely necessary to break in the hh, it completely changes how the jacket will fit and move with you.

Good Luck

GO SCHOTT

Wolverine

Mistyd on 12/16/10 at 01:56 PM

Hi Wolverine,

Thanks for the info!  I knew the hh was likely to be stiffer, and with the need to 'break in'... but I am confused on your statment about the "hand" being the difference?  I will check out the Legendary site (just did actually :), and I didn't see where the mm/ounce weight was noted for any of the jackets I mentioned.. perhaps I missed it?

Anyhow, I appreciate the info on the 641, thanks.  Do you perhaps know about the weight/thickness of the 585? or 141?   Again, these are the jackets I am really interested in, and I just like to know for my own knowledge (I don't doubt the quality of Schott's products at all).  Thanks!!

God Bless,

Misty

Mh54480 on 03/15/19 at 02:59 PM

Yea hh is pretty tough to break in.  I just bought a 613sh jacket a while ago and a month into wearing it the leather ripped.  

richgreene on 03/15/19 at 09:48 PM

Mh54480 wrote:

Yea hh is pretty tough to break in.  I just bought a 613sh jacket a while ago and a month into wearing it the leather ripped.  

You’re the guy that bought it too small and decided to stretch it out  ???

Please Wait While Loading ...
LOADING MORE