ANY QUESTIONS? FEEL FREE TO EMAIL, CALL 1-800-631-5407 OR
YOU CALL THE SCHOTTS
WillL

FUNFACT: Kanye West lets WillL finish before giving his opinion.

618 Authenticity

Hello,

I was just wondering whether somebody could help me verify the authenticity of what I think is my 618? I bought it used on ebay and it's generally in great condition, except that the labels were cut off. It was advertised as such and I didn't think anything of it when I bought it, but since receiving it I've realized that its authenticity is important to me. It doesn't bother me that it's missing the labels; it would only bother me if it were a fake. I've included some photos of the jacket, the spots where the labels would have been, the pocket tag, the zippers, and the branded snaps and buttons. It has 'IDEAL' cuff zippers and a 'YKK' main zipper. The belt buckle is square with no markings on it. 

If it's possible to date it on that information alone, I would also be grateful for that info. I'm happy to enclose any additional photos if that would be helpful. 

Thank you!

Photo of Schott 618(?) Photo of Schott 618 from back Photo of Schott 618 missing tag Photo of Schott 618 missing side tag Photo of Schott 618 Pocket Tag Photo of Ideal Cuff Zipper Photo of YKK main zipper

jorgen83 on 03/09/19 at 03:38 PM

It’s not a 618, it’s a 518. The 518 I believe was part of the Dur O Jac line, which uses lower grade leather that has been stamped with a pattern to hide imperfections.

Gail on 03/11/19 at 09:09 AM

The pocket ticket does confirm the style as being a 518, since the pocket ticket has no bar code it was produced prior to 1993. In the 80's the motorcycle style became a fashion item and the market was flooded with cheap imports. Schott wanted to offer a better made jacket made in the USA at a lesser cost. Bewteen the years 1986 to 1991 we offered the style with a Durojac label and not the Perfecto label used in our 618 & 118 styles that are made with a higher grade leather. The leather in the 518 is still the same weight and durability but is it a leather that is corrected to hide the imperfections of tick and scarring marks. This probably why the main abel has been cut out by the previous owner because it was not that top of the line Perfecto label. As you can see the corrected hid used did not dimish the jacket in any way as the jacket still looks great after all these years.

Gail

WillL on 03/11/19 at 09:58 AM

Thanks very much, Jorgen and Gail! That's very helpful information and clears up my questions. I appreciate your time. 

Please Wait While Loading ...
LOADING MORE