ANY QUESTIONS? FEEL FREE TO EMAIL, CALL 1-800-631-5407 OR
YOU CALL THE SCHOTTS
Mh54480

FUNFACT: Fire refuses to play with Mh54480, for fear of being burned.

Schott 613SH aging

hey guys, maybe question for Gail.  The 613sh is very shiny and almost looks vinyl.  It isn’t even a year old.  It’s still not even broken in!  It doesn’t look very grainy.  Will the grain start to show with time?  I owned the 626 and it showed the grain and imperfections immediately.  Is horsehide different in taking time to show the natural grain?  I’m sure it will age well and get softer but this is my first HH.  Thanks 

Gail on 06/13/19 at 07:55 AM

Horsehide is a very smooth leather, not a natural grain as in the style 626 jacket you have. Horsehide leather is also finished in a glossy shine, which in time will wear off, but this leather will take time before it broken in and shine to lessen. While in time the jacket will develope creases with wear the leather will not turn grainy. Our leather such as Horsehide, Steerhide and Naked Cowhide are all smooth Grade A/B hides, very clean without the imperfections thus making the leather more expensive. The more you wear the jacket the sooner it will become less firm and shiny, but this could take time. Hopefully some of our members who own Horsehide jackets will post how long it took to break in their jackets and how often they wore the jacket to do so. Wearing the jacket daily and if you ride in all types of weather will accelerate the aging of the jacket.

Gail

Mh54480 on 06/13/19 at 08:34 AM

Thanks Gail. 

Dphillip on 06/13/19 at 09:00 AM

My 641HH is about 19 months old and is now just starting to become more pliable, it’s much more comfortable to wear now than when it was brand new. It’s also not quite as shiny, that plastic, vinyl look is gone. This is after wearing it as much as possible including being rolled up into a ball and stuffed into a saddlebag. It’s by far my favorite jacket.

Man wearing a Schott 641HH horsehide leather jacket

Mh54480 on 06/13/19 at 09:47 AM

Wow....thanks that helps hearing your story.  Interesting 

Please Wait While Loading ...
LOADING MORE