ANY QUESTIONS? FEEL FREE TO EMAIL, CALL 1-800-631-5407 OR
YOU CALL THE SCHOTTS
GrampsProgeny

FUNFACT: GrampsProgeny can unscramble an egg.

1985 James Dean Leather Jacket

Hello! My Grandfather recently passed away and he left me this great jacket. Unfortunately, it is too small for me. I would like to give it a good home. The jacket is in great condition. Size 48. All zipers work, no rips or tears. The fur colar is in decent shape too. I'm afraid I'm a little new to this site and am not sure what this jacket would go for. Would anyone be able to reccomend what I could sell it for or want to make an offer?

Jacket49.jpg Jacket215.jpg Jacket312.jpg

Gail on 08/23/16 at 09:27 AM

While we do not provide pricing in vintage or collector edition of jackets, I would like to try and help you determine exactly what style this version of the James Dean jacket is. We made this jacket in the style numbers JD-1 and the JD-2, possibly there is a white ticket in the pocket with the style number on the ticket. The JD-1 was a Limited Edition in a Horsehide leather, detachable Genuine Mouton fur collar and a removable heavy basketweave Steerhide belt. The JD-2 was a Collectors Edition in a Steerhide leather with a Dynel acrylic detachable collar and no belt the though belt was an optional purchase. The JD-1 would be a more expensive jacket compared to the JD-2 jacket so it would be important to know what style this jacket is. Looking at photos it is impossible to determine the type of leather or collar material to be 100% positive in the style number.

I did try to view the photos to try and determine which jacket it was. Hopefully the pocket ticket is still in the jacket and can confirm the style number. Even though you do not show a belt on the jacket, it is very possible your grandfather removed the belt as he felt more comfortable without it. The JD-1 did have a Nylon Satin lining versus a polytwill lining in the JD-2 style, the lining in your photos does appear to have a shine in comparison with a satin material, though a camera flash can also produce a shine. You may be able to determine the style by the collar, the underside of a genuine mouton collar will be the hide of the leather. Remove the collar and examine the backside of the fur.

Gail

wolverine on 08/28/16 at 12:49 PM

Since he main zip is silver rather than brass this is the steer version...assuming the main zipper is original.  Please post measures across chest, sleeve length, etc.  These tended to run small 

Gail on 08/29/16 at 07:14 AM

Thanks Wolverine for posting the diffrence in the zippers for the styles, I somehow missed posting this very visible difference in the jackets. For comparison in pricing the JD-1 retailed when new in 1985 around $350 and the JD-2 retailed around $240. The larger sizes 48 & up were at at higher cost, a size 48 would be closer to $390-$400, the JD-1  $275 - $285

Gail

PeterSilecchio on 05/01/19 at 07:56 PM

Hello 

Did you sell this Jacket?

Thank You

Peter

GrampsProgeny on 05/01/19 at 08:25 PM

PeterSilecchio wrote:

Hello 

Did you sell this Jacket?

Thank You

Peter

Hi Peter,  I had totally forgotten about this!

Time flies and life gets in the way. I have not sold this jacket. Nor did I even try posting it. I believe based on the above its the JD-2 model...

PeterSilecchio on 05/01/19 at 09:09 PM

Hi

Looks Very Very Nice! 

Would you ever sell it?

Thank You

Pete

GrampsProgeny on 05/01/19 at 10:34 PM

PeterSilecchio wrote:

Hi

Looks Very Very Nice! 

Would you ever sell it?

Thank You

Pete

Sure, I'd sell it. You offering? If so, how much?

Please Wait While Loading ...
LOADING MORE