684 or 184 Question
Watch this Post

Hi Gail (thanks again!)

per your response to my previous question:

Not really alot to determine the age, based on the Schott logo snaps it is our jacket, and we started using Logo snaps after the mid-1970's. I think it is either a 684SM or 184SM depending on the leather and someone has removed the zip-out liner zipper. On older jackets the main label and size label were on the zip-out liner and since there are no labels I think it was this style. We do not determine a value on used or vintage jackets. I cannot even really determine the actual age, except it was made after the mid-1970's and we are still making the 184SM. Gail

Leather is very thick and heavy - was never super-shiny, I think.  How can I tell what kind it is? (hence determine which style for sure) Also zipper is YKK

thanks again!

Gail on 01/29/13 at 01:15 PM

The naked cowhide is not shiny at all and was not offered in our line until 1978. Steerhide leather when new did have a shine, but not real shiny with wear the leather will become more vintage in appearance and have less shine. Gail

kmwhit2001 on 01/29/13 at 01:24 PM

I believe it is steerhide - I can see that it was a little shiny at one time - does that plus the YKK zipper assist in detrmining if it is a 684 and help narrow the date.  I think the naked cowhide is litlle lighter weight and more flexible than the steerhide - is this correct?

many thanks!

Gail on 01/29/13 at 01:43 PM

I cannot confirm the date by knowing the leather type. I think with the YKK zipper it could be from the 1980's, older jackets had talon zippers and newer jackets had our Logo on the pull.  We made  thousands of jackets in this style during the 1980's when the A/2 style was a fashion trend. Gail